Energy advice

Free grants to make homes more energy efficient

Low income households living in the Derbyshire Dales can apply now for free Government grants to make their property more energy efficient.

You need JavaScript enabled to display this content.

Qualifying properties with a mains gas connection can apply for fully funded loft insulation - a quarter of heat is lost through the roof in an uninsulated home. Insulating your loft is an effective way to reduce heat loss and reduce heating bills.

If your property is off mains gas then additional funding may be available to install wall insulation and/or low carbon heating such as air source heat pumps. An assessment will be carried out to determine which energy efficiency measures are the most suitable for each home.

Applicants must own or privately rent their home, be a low income household and live in a low EPC rated property. The Council can fund an EPC for householders who don't have them.

Simply contact the District Council's partner Marches Energy Agency to check your eligibility. Complete this online form, call them on 0800 677 1332 (select option 2) or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All work will be fully grant funded for owner occupiers. For rented properties landlords must contribute a proportion of the costs.

Work will be carried out by Council approved contractors Westville or Broad Oak properties and grants will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Home energy efficiency advice

Improving the energy efficiency of existing homes is sometimes referred to as 'retrofit'. Put simply this is the process of making changes to existing buildings so that energy consumption and emissions are reduced. Done properly improvements should lead to a more comfortable, healthier home - ideally with reduced fuel bills.

Making energy efficiency improvements can be complicated, particularly in older properties like many of those in the Derbyshire Dales. Getting the right advice and work done to a high quality standard is key.

The Government endorsed Trustmark website can provide links to competent skilled tradespeople to carry out home energy efficiency improvement work.

If you are considering making changes to your home and unsure whether you will require planning permission you are encouraged to seek pre application advice from the relevant planning authority.

Staying warm and well

The District Council works with partners to reduce fuel poverty, improve the energy efficiency of homes across the Dales and to help fight the effects of climate change. Being an active member of the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Local Authorities' Energy Partnership, helps to ensure that we work effectively towards our goals.

The District Council works with Marches Energy Agency, Derbyshire County Council and local GPs to identify those people who live in energy inefficient houses, who find it difficult to afford to improve their homes and who suffer from chronic health problems associated with living in cold conditions.

You can access free advice and help on staying warm & well at home through our FREE helpline 0800 667 1332 or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If you have a health condition that is made worse by the cold and you struggle to afford to heat your home, the Healthy Homes Project may be able to help or can direct you to other sources of support: 01629 536919.

Simple Energy Advice is a government run website providing impartial and independent advice to help you reduce your energy bills, make your home warmer, plan home improvements and make your home greener.

If you own a property you can get also now get government endorsed recommendations for home improvements that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep warm.

Living in a privately rented home

If you live in a privately rented home Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) regulations may apply. This means that the property should have a minimum EPC Band E rating.

The District Council’s Environmental Health Team is in contact with all private landlords within the Derbyshire Dales whose rented properties fail to meet the minimum standard as well as those landlords who haven’t yet commissioned an EPC. Officers will offer landlords the guidance and support they need to achieve EPC Band E or above, and, in circumstances where this can’t be achieved, support landlords who may be eligible to lodge an exemption.

For advice on the Minimum Energy Efficiency Regulations, as a tenant or to understand your responsibilities as a landlord to meet the requirements please contact Environmental Health at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by calling 01629 761212.

A-Z of services